What to do and see in Gainesville this summer!
Whether it’s due to a financial crunch, conflicting schedules or a lack of vacation time, many families choose to stay local for summer vacations and explore everything their own city has to offer. Luckily, Gainesville has plenty of chances to turn those long summer days into family fun days! If you’re looking for an activity to enjoy with your family, try one of these educational and interesting offerings.
The Retirement Home for Horses
Even horses can retire to the good life. The Retirement Home for Horses, located on Mill Creek Farm, is open on Saturdays only, from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Enjoy time watching these beautiful animals and learning about their care.
• Admission: 2 carrots! (or a 5lb. bag) Donations are also accepted
• Hours: Saturdays only, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
• For more info visit: http://www.millcreekfarm.org/
Florida Museum of Natural History
Learn about the amazing natural history of the Gainesville area with this fun and educational day trip. Located on the University of Florida’s campus, the Florida Museum of Natural History is a wealth of information for growing minds. Explore specimens of 21 million different animals and learn about scientific research being conducted at the moment. Visitors can also explore 4 million artifacts collected – an amazing educational journey through the cultural history of Florida. Prehistoric lovers will enjoy the fossil collection displays, not to mention the American Mastodon!
• Admission: FREE (special exhibits and the Butterfly Garden have a small fee)
• Hours: Monday–Saturday:, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Sunday: 1:00 – 5:00 p.m.
• For more info visit: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/
The University of Florida Bat House
If long summer days have you going batty, this may be just the distraction you need! Visit the bat house on the campus of the University of Florida just before sunset to watch these amazing creatures emerge.
• Admission: Free
• Hours: 4:30 – until on weekdays, all day on weekends (to get the best view, arrive a few minutes before sunset)
• For more info visit: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/bats/
Devil’s Millhopper Geological State Park
Enjoy a day of hiking or just take in the lush scenery and experience the abundant wildlife. A quiet reprieve from a busy lifestyle, this park is a welcome retreat!
• Admission: Free
• Hours: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Wednesday – Sunday
• For more info visit: https://www.visitgainesville.com/attractions/devils-millhopper-geological-state-park/